Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sidah's Sky Birthday

January has dreadful weather. I was riding to Jurong to pick up Sidah and I got caught in heavy rain. By the time I reached her place, I was drenched to the skin. Not a good start to any date, especially when I was planning to surprise her with a birthday Sky Dining experience!

It was a nerve-racking ride to Vivocity. Sidah still thought we were headed there to visit a photography exhibition. She only realized it as we walked to harbourfront centre and I waved the receipt in front of her.

As part of the package we got a complimentary ride to the station at Mount Faber from Harbourfront. Sidah managed to get over her huge shock to start taking the first pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

She regretted not charging her camera to the max. I mean, you won't expect to take many pictures at a photography exhibition after all.

We were a few minutes early for the 6pm start. So we wandered around the Jewel Box area.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Basically Sky Dining is just putting a table into a cable car and serving us a course at each stop at Mt Faber station. Think of it as a very scenic, private dining experience.

Photobucket

It's a lovely idea! Cheers to whoever thought of it.

Photobucket

The food is not halal-certified as they serve wine. They gave the usual no-pork-no-lard assurance. First course is the Cream of Tomato Soup served with Garlic Crostini.

Photobucket

I thought it was nice, but then again I was starving! It was a good start because who wants to eat when there's a lovely sunset to snap as your background.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was also nice to laugh at people who were still stuck in the office. You could actually see some in meetings while you are dining.

Photobucket

One reason I made it a point to go early was to catch the sunset.

Photobucket

I am so glad the weather held. It was slightly cloudy but the cool weather in exchange was a fair trade.

Photobucket

Photobucket

About half an hour later, we were back at Mount Faber to have our 2nd course. There were 2 options on the menu and I ordered both so we could share.

Pan-fried Dory Fish Fillet in Cajun Spice
Served with sauteed garden vegetables and mashed potatoes

Photobucket

Grilled Chicken with Pommery Mustard Jus
Served with sauteed garden vegetables and potatoe Wedges

Photobucket

I wanted to tuck in straight away!

Photobucket

Sidah however wanted to take pictures of the dishes first.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had to wait quite a while before she let me tuck in.

Photobucket

I was so glad when she was finally done and I could take a bite.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Verdict : Good!

Earlier the staff at Mt Faber station took a picture of us. We were then presented with copies of the pictures in different sizes. They also put the pictures into keychains! They let us make up our minds at the end of the trip if we wanted to purchase them. A cheaper option is to just ask the guys at the other stops to take it with your own camera.

Photobucket

Sidah still bought the package for its sentimental value though. Oh well.

Final course is the Apple Crumble Served with strawberry coulis. I hated it. I wanted to throw it out the window. Sidah thought it was ok.

Photobucket

Fortunately I bought a cake from the same restaurant so at least I didn't go hungry during dessert.

Photobucket

Happy birthday!

Photobucket

Again we didn't get to eat it until we finished taking pictures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

All in all a memorable night.

Photobucket

We still got one more ride to the Harbourfront after they removed the tables but you can just pretend you misunderstood the instructions and take another extra round. Might as well get your money's worth! I only wish I had brought my own tub of ice cream....

Photobucket

2 comments:

Hart said...

Hey I didn't know Sidah's burfday is just 2 days after yours!!!! That's so cool... Kinda like me and Mr H last time. Heh... Sky dining sure sounds great but I think I'd puke. Haha....

Al Hafiizh said...

umm her birthday is in january...mine's in feb lah!