Saturday, October 04, 2008

In Conversation

I recently have started dabbling in shares and stocks of our local STI. A friend of mine was surprised to hear this especially with all the negative sentiment right now of the economic turmoil. I explained to her that sometimes when the market is bad, it's a huge opportunity to buy shares and wait until the economy recovers and reap the gains.

She got very interested and started asking me how shares work. As expected she asked if it was halal because it sounded very much like usury. That led to my explanation of how money isn't really money, money is actually debt. If you really thought about it, we are all living in an age of usury and there is nothing we can do about it, sadly.

I doubt very much she understood most of what I was saying but I think she got an inkling of what I was trying to convey. She went quiet for a while, probably thinking of something to say.

"So....what else is new in your life?"

"Don't you have my blog address? Everything's there, with pictures even!"

"Yeah I know, I saw." she laughed. "I miss talking to you, though. You sound so much smarter in person."

"C*&%*@."

0 comments: